New month means new marketing! I love September (and not just because it’s my birthday month!) To me, September is the new January. It’s your second-chance in the year for a fresh start. January might be a new calendar year, but frequently people are a little burned out in January. You’ve just survived the holiday season and are trying to recover and get back to “normal.”
But September is different. The weather gets a little more bearable (at least here in the South) and kids start a new school year. You pull out your fall clothes, grab a pumpkin spice latte, get serious about work, make new commitments, and focus on hitting your year-end goals. September means business!
It’s also Life Insurance Awareness Month, which means it’s the perfect time to really focus on life insurance promotion. Get details on this here.
If you’re ready to kick your marketing in high gear, check out these ideas! (And download the marketing calendar for September at the end of this post.)
September Insurance Marketing Plan:
- Draw your Referral Rewards winner from August and PROMOTE it on all of your social networks and email newsletter. If you don’t know what Referral Rewards are, read this. Remember, the benefit to referral programs is in the promotion. Take a photo of your winner, make a video announcing it. Share it everywhere, post it on your website, send it out in your email newsletter. CHALLENGE: Share something about your Referral Rewards program at least once a week this month!
- Schedule Annual Reviews – If you started by last name in January, then this month focus on last names beginning with Q & R. I like to use last names rather than renewal dates, so you only contact people once per year AND it’s not just focused on looking at rate increases. Remember to look for potential discounts, multi-line opportunities, and display your excellent and above-average customer service! CHALLENGE: Track the percentage of people who show up for an annual review appointment versus how many you contacted. See if you can beat that percentage each month!
- Get Life Insurance Leads – You’ll send a card out about two months before the prospect’s actual birthday as a reminder that life insurance rates will go up once they are year older. (Target current clients that are a good life prospect only.) Don’t make this a Happy Birthday card, some might find it offensive! Instead just use their birthday as a hard deadline for getting the best life insurance rate. CHALLENGE: Send out postcards to every person in the right age range for life insurance that has a birthday in November.
- Promote Life Insurance Awareness Month – During September, you want to take advantage of the extra media attention around Life Insurance and promote it a little heavier than usual! Plan a 3 step marketing campaign, post on social media about life insurance 1-2x per week, and make a few new videos. CHALLENGE: I’ll be sharing life marketing ideas and images on my Facebook page this month, go “like” it here.
- Plan Your Social Media – Social media is the perfect place to connect with clients on a regular basis. But you have to be PERSONAL and CONSISTENT! Using bland content your company delivers isn’t going to cut it anymore. Insurance doesn’t have to be boring. Plan to tie in your referral program, photos of your staff, and fun, entertaining info all month long. (We can help!)
And no good marketing plan works without a solid review of what you’re already doing! Take an hour to look at all of your August reports.
- Where did most of your sales come from?
- Which staff member produced the most?
- How can you take what works and do MORE of it?
Enjoy your Labor Day holiday and head back into the office next week with a renewed energy for your agency and get ready to make some stuff happen! Four months to go!
Download Your September Insurance Marketing Calendar
If you’d like a printable calendar version of September’s marketing plan, click here and I’ll send you one!